Post Baccalaureate Fellow
Post Baccalaureate Fellow
About the Post Baccalaureate Fellowship program
Barnard College’s Post Baccalaureate Fellowship program is a learning and career development opportunity for graduating seniors. The Post Baccalaureate Fellowship is a one-year program (with the possibility of renewal for a second year) consisting of various placements that allow for the development of professional career skills, ongoing technical and workplace learning and an opportunity to apply subject matter expertise to new technologies, digital scholarship, creative writing, etc.
Reporting to the Senior Associate Director, fellowships are full-time paid appointments with health benefits, as well as paid holiday and vacation days. Preferred start is July 1, 2023. Fellows will be paid a stipend of $45,000 per year. Each fellow is a member of a cohort that participates in ongoing professional development and learning from Beyond Barnard in collaboration with the Office of Human Resources.
Preference will be given to Barnard College 2023 graduates, though recent graduates may apply. Columbia University 2023 graduates may also apply.
Under the direction of the CSC Senior Associate Director, and working closely with other CSC staff, the Fellow will conduct research and participate in the development and execution of CSC activities, including workshops, a new Computing Fellows program, collaborations with other Milstein centers, and other programming for the CSC.
Essential Duties Summary
- Conduct and present a computational research project on a topic of the candidate’s choosing.
- Help the CSC Associate and Faculty Director and staff build and support a community around computational science education for Barnard students.
- Develop, lead, and assist with curricular-integrated and open workshops.
- Assist with training and mentorship of student staff, including the Computing Fellows program.
- Help manage the CSC’s social media accounts including, but not limited to: Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
- Collaborate with the CSC team on new and ongoing community-building events, including incorporating virtual participation.
- Assist in data collection and analysis to evaluate CSC programs.
- Explore potential future avenues of CSC development.
- Collaborate with the CSC team to facilitate work with an interactive 3×2 Visualization Wall mosaic to show off its capabilities and training for people who teach or run workshops in the room.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to think flexibly and engage in creative problem-solving.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team of diverse colleagues.
- Computing experience, and willingness to learn new computing skills.
- An interest in computational research and pedagogy.
Required Qualification Summary
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or another STEM field, or significant computing or quantitative experience in a non-STEM field.
- Coursework in some or all of the following: Java, C++, Python, Data Structures, Data Science
Preferred Qualification Summary
- Experience with teaching and instruction
To apply, please see the job posting here or search for position JR2488, where you will be asked to submit a CV and Cover Letter describing your interest and qualifications for the position. Please reach out to email@example.com with questions.
Barnard College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Barnard does not discriminate due to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis, and to the extent permitted by law. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.